14 April 2012

Review: Sena Florence leather iPad 2 case


If you've read any of my other iOS device accessory reviews, you'll know that I have a bit of a penchant for good case/screen protector solutions that will protect the investment you've made in to an iPhone or iPad - and so I've been trying out a lot of different products.

There were a few things that made me want to try out the Sena case - first off, I was looking for a quality leather all-in-one case, secondly I know Sena as a good accessories brand, and then thirdly, this particular case was half-price at the time of purchase! I suppose actually that's a point worth dwelling on - this case is rated highly precisely because of the value it offers at its reduced price - if you find it at its RRP (£80ish in the UK), then you may have to make a call on if it's still worth it.

Anyway, back to the case - its a shiny leather affair, as oppose to some of the more muted cases that I've seen - that could easily appear tacky, but Sena have done a nice job with the design. Like many total enclosure cases you can get for the iPad, the inside of the case provides a cutaway pocket that the iPad slots in to, to keep it still. Whilst its a good, snug fit, I wouldn't say it's perfect - leading to some of the Outer edges of the pocket actually raising up off the iPad - a bit disappointing, but it is a natural material, to be fair.


On the back of the case, theres a tag/lip that is stitched on the back of the case - again, both a positive and negative - the positive being that this forms part of the mechanism to allow you put the iPad at an angle for typing/viewing - but the negative being than the case doesn't sit level on a surface when placed down. Again, small points, but it pays to know these things!



My final plus/minus feature is the front cover - this closes over the screen of the iPad, and the bottom right corner tucks in to a small leather pocket to stay closed - not the best design (I'm thinking its going to wear and then break), but it works - however, heres the kicker - the cover doesn't sit perfectly straight on the case without a serious amount of adjustment.


In summary then, you might be wondering why I gave the case 7/10 - and thats because it does have its good points - it protects the iPad (from scrapes and small drops), it looks like quality, and the stand mechanism does work - but with some more product testing, I kinda feel like this case could have been a 9/10, or even 10/10. Just my opinion, of course!


[Update 1: I read on the Web the other day that there are later versions of this case that fix most of the issues I raise above!]


[Update 2: I would expect this case to fit the new iPad with no issues]


RATED: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment