12 February 2020

Review: Torras iPhone 11 cases!


Back on the Accessories reviews front, and I have a couple of cases from Torras which are good options if you are the kind of person that drops their phone (and let’s face it, who doesn’t!). The two cases are the Matte Black Ultra Thin Slim Shockproof Case, and the Crystal Clear Thin Slim Soft TPU Case. Read on to find out more....

As you probably know if you’ve read my other reviews and posts on cases, I’m especially picky about the cases that I’ll put on my devices - they need to satisfy a number of criteria, all within a cost envelope that makes sense:
  • not too bulky
  • corner protection
  • No interference with screen protector
  • Lipped front (to provide screen some protection)
  • Fully cover (but not interfere) with Lightning/USB-C port
  • No damage to device from inside of case by virtue of material used
.... and those are just for starters - I could go on....!

So I was pleased when Torras reached out to me with a couple of cases - the first is an ultra-slimline matte black case, and the second is a somewhat squidgy TPU-based clear case. Let’s take them in order:


Matte Black Ultra Thin Slim Shockproof Case
The Ultra Thin Slim cases that Torras has been producing have been a permanent fixture for both my iPhone X and iPhone XS Max - that is to say, for the most part, I very much like them! For the sort of money you are paying here, you get a number of ticks in the ‘Pro’ column, and only a few marks in ‘Cons’ column. What I’d highlight is the following:

+ Low cost
+ Good fit
+ Deals with impacts and saves scratches

- Hard inner surface means dust and potential scratching
- Gaps in bottom corners means small areas unprotected

As I said, I’ve been using this extensively with my iPhone X and XS Max, and the iPhone 11 case fits just as well. As you can see, whilst using the iPhone 11, I also fitted a Scosche Magnetic plate to the back, so I could mount my phone in the car, and that has adhered to the case very well also.


Probably the only downside of the case (and this an issue with all hard-shell cases that I’ve used), is that if abrasive dirt/dust gets in the case, it can potentially rub against the phone and mark it. The simple solution here is to regularly pop your phone out of the case and give both it, and the case, a good clean - I do this every couple of weeks and the phones have been fine as result. On the odd occasion I have dropped my phone with this hard case on, its also done an admirable job of protecting the phone - though I can’t vouch for what a drop on to hard surfaces from hip height or greater would do.


Overall, It’s a really nice case, and I use this same model on the current phone I’m rocking, which is the iPhone XS Max. Moving on to the next case then.....



Crystal Clear Thin Slim Soft TPU Case
TPU cases offer a different value proposition (and also different design, obviously!) from their hard shell cousins - that being a degree of extra softness/flexibility in the case, in exchange for a bit of extra bulk.

I’m pleased to report that the iPhone 11 Crystal Clear TPU case from Torras has the right degree of softness versus rigidity to make for a good case - too flexible and the phone won’t stay in the case; too rigid and the point of the TPU material goes away. 




The case utilises cut-outs inside of in the corners, allowing for further movement of the case when dropped on a corner on to the floor - frankly anything that might allow for shock absorption when your phone is clattering on a hard surface has got to be a good thing!

There is some extra thickness/bulk that is caused by the case, and that’s somewhat unavoidable if you want to have a case that’s going to do anything meaningful - there are plenty of super-thin TPU cases on the market, but I question their effectiveness and longevity, having used many in the past.

The TPU case does gather dust inside it, which is slightly annoying - but then again, its very easy to pop the phone out and give it (and the case) a quick wipe - I’d recommend doing this regularly to avoid a build-up of fluff/dust/dirt!

Overall the case is good value, looks good (since you can see the phone through it), and seems to have been built with quality in mind.

Summary


These are two really nice cases - both offer good protection, and depending on the style/design you like, you’ve got options here. Both are very reasonably priced also - I’ve included link and price details below, correct as of 11th February 2020:



Thank you to Torras for providing the case samples for this review!

No comments:

Post a Comment