14 November 2014

Review: Power Support AFP crystal film set for iPhone 6


It's been a little while since I last reviewed a Mobile accessory, but with the advent of the iPhone 6 (new at time of writing), Power Support have released a new Screen Protector, and so I thought it would be worthwhile checking it out...

It should be clear from previous posts how much I rate the Power Support Screen Protectors - they are amazing at protecting from scuffs, and assuming you know how to put them on, they have always fitted really well. However, for the iPhone 6 I was faced with a dilemma that I hadn't faced before - I couldn't get hold of one!

In the first few weeks following the iPhone 6 release, the issue was simply that Power Support hadn't released the Screen Protectors (you could pre-order though) - however, unlike for previous devices, the issue then became availability in the UK - there just wasn't anywhere that was stocking them! So I decided to look farther afield and procured my Screen Protector from Singapore (where a seller on a popular auction site that begins with 'e' had them available). I have to say that worked out really well, since the Screen Protector came in days after purchased - far quicker than the weeks it could potentially have taken.

On receiving the Screen Protector, I noticed a few more differences - one trivial one, in that the packaging is different that previous Protectors - and one much more relevant, which is that the Protector is cut differently than previously - in at least three ways:

  1. The cutouts for the sensors at the top of the device are no longer cutouts - but instead cut-ins
  2. The cutout for the home button is also no longer a cutout - but the edge of protector now goes around the home button
  3. The edge of the screen protector doesn't go to the edge of the screen - since the iPhone 6 screen curves at the edges
Out of these, it's really (3) for me that is the biggest issue - whilst I appreciate it's nigh-impossible to wrap a flat Protector around a curved screen, the simple fact is that the Protector no longer covers the whole screen - which does potentially invite scratches around the periphery of the screen if dropped.

One other thing to say too, is that the way the protector is cut, the tolerance around the button, speaker at the top, and the other areas that need lining up, is even tighter - so it's a real challenge to fit this correctly first time. I've fitted lots of these Protectors, and on the two iPhone 6 devices I fitted this Protector to (there are 2 Protectors in each pack), I had to re-sit of the Protector of one of the devices multiple times. Again, for clarity, the tolerance of the Screen Protector cut is TIGHT!

Aside from that, the usual great comments about Power Support Screen Protectors apply again - they are great quality and don't affect the visibility, particularly with the 'Crystal' version I had (there's an anti-reflective version which is much more commonly available I believe).

So in summary - good, bad or indifferent? I would say it's great, but just bear in mind the few foibles listed above, and make sure whoever fits your Protector has a VERY good eye for lining things up!

No comments:

Post a Comment